Sunday, May 29, 2016

Three Poems by A.J. Huffman




Good God Mother

I am a straightjacket girl in a ballroom world.  I have
forgotten how to follow the glitter-
brick road.  Mirrors come to paint me.  It tickles.
I laugh and break.  Their concentration
requires definition – mine.  I look myself up
and down seems to be the only probability.  I jump
on one foot in the middle of a rainstorm
hoping to strike right.  Wrong! 
Everything runs.  Back
to basic training I go.





Of Coffee

grounds
               meet
water
brew
         energized
morning
breath
drip     pools
cup carries
caffeinated
gold



Reverberations.  In Blue.

I am a broken hollow
filled with my own echo.  I haunt
myself with abandoned
desires designed to trick me
                                              out as “normal.”
It never works.  I am immune to the sound
of my own voice (not to mention
my truly pathetic sales pitch).  Still
I practice repeating retreating
repenting (occasionally)
even reinventing . . . harmony
is the definition
                          [of so much more than]
                                                                horrifying.





A.J. Huffman has published twelve solo chapbooks and one joint chapbook through various small presses.  Her new poetry collections, Another Blood Jet (Eldritch Press), A Few Bullets Short of Home (mgv2>publishing), Butchery of the Innocent (Scars Publications), Degeneration (Pink Girl Ink) and A Bizarre Burning of Bees (Transcendent Zero Press) are now available from their respective publishers and amazon.com.  She is a four-time Pushcart Prize nominee, a two-time Best of Net nominee, and has published over 2400 poems in various national and international journals, including Labletter, The James Dickey Review, Bone Orchard, EgoPHobia, and Kritya.  She is also the founding editor of Kind of a Hurricane Press.  www.kindofahurricanepress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment